Go beyond the classic hot toddy with these warm winter cocktails
Published 12:28 pm Thursday, January 11, 2018
By Stephanie Burt
(Originally published in Oxford Magazine)
Since the season is short, it’s natural to stick to what we know: the classic hot toddy of bourbon with honey and lemon. It’s a classic for a reason, and a delicious way to celebrate good friends and good times (and for some, even to combat a cold). But there is a world beyond the beloved brown liquor when it comes to toasty beverages.
Mexican Hot Mocha
1 packet Ghirardelli hot chocolate cocoa mix
4 ounces hot water
1 ounce Ancho Reyes
1 ounce espresso vodka
Large marshmallow and cinnamon stick for garnish
1. Empty hot chocolate packet into a mug and add water, stirring continuously until all is dissolved (it will be a little thick).
2. Add liquors and stir to incorporate.
3. Garnish with large marshmallow and cinnamon stick. Use the stick as a swizzle stick or a makeshift straw and enjoy.
Pukka Three Ginger Tea
2 ounces apple brandy
4 dashes Angostura Bitters
Spiked orange wedge for garnish
1. Make tea.
2. Pour brandy and bitters into the bottom of a warm mug, then add tea and stir.
3. Serve with an orange wedge spiked with cloves for garnish.
Hot Dr. Pepper
6 ounces Dr. Pepper soda, warmed
2 ounces Appleton rum
1. Warm Dr. Pepper on stove until hot but not boiling.
2. Pour rum into bottom of mug, then top with soda.
3. Garnish with a floating lemon wheel.