Deadly fire caused by wood too close to a heater; victim had buried her husband days prior
The fire that claimed the lives of a Lawrence County woman and her two dogs was likely caused by firewood being stored too close to a wood-burning stove, the state fire marshal reported.
Mary Ann McMahon, 72, was killed Wednesday after she initially escaped the house fire, but reentered her home to try and save her two dogs.
McMahon had just buried her husband just days before.
McMahon’s husband, Patrick, died on Jan. 10; and his funeral was Monday.
Lawrence County Sheriff Lessie Butler says McMahon’s daughter, Amy Rutland was staying with her mother after the funeral. Rutland escaped the fire, but had to be hospitalized.
A greater share of Mississipi’s high school students are graduating than ever before. The Mississippi Department of Education said Thursday... read more