State says hundreds of residences damaged in last week’s storms
Published 2:59 pm Monday, February 25, 2019
The deadly storms that ripped across Mississippi last week left a wake of destruction that state emergency management personnel are still working to assess, including more than 300 damages residences and dozens of businesses.
Those statistics do not yet include the massive damage caused by a tornado in the city of Columbus, which was still being assessed.
The Mississippi Emergency Management Agency reports more than 30 counties have reported weather-related damages.
These damage reports serve only as initial assessments from the county emergency management offices and will change (either higher or lower) as additional reports and assessments are sent to MEMA.
So far, 300 residences, 190 roads and bridges and 30 businesses are affected statewide. This number does not include damage assessments in Lowndes County. Those numbers are yet to be determined.
Initial damage reports by county (assessments ongoing):
- Alcorn: Assessments ongoing
- Calhoun: 54 homes and 20 roads damaged.
- Carroll: Assessments ongoing
- Chickasaw: One home and 14 roads damaged.
- Clarke: Homes damaged, three businesses and two roads damaged.
- Clay: 69 homes and 12 roads
- Coahoma: Assessments delayed due to flooding
- Grenada: 100 homes and 22 businesses damaged. Six roads damaged.
- Humphreys: Assessments delayed due to flooding
- Issaquena: One home and five roads damaged.
- Itawamba: 41 roads damaged.
- Lafayette: Assessments ongoing
- Lee: 60 homes damaged; some roads inaccessible.
- Lincoln: One home damaged; Roads damaged or inaccessible.
- Lowndes: NWS Jackson confirmed tornado; awaiting damage reports from the county; widespread power outages. Multiple injuries reported. MEMA Personnel have been deployed to the city of Columbus for initial damage assessments.
- Madison: Assessments ongoing
- Monroe: Assessments ongoing
- Montgomery: Assessments ongoing
- Noxubee: One home damaged
- Pontotoc: Assessments ongoing
- Prentiss: 34 roads damaged
- Quitman: Assessments ongoing
- Rankin: One home damaged.
- Sharkey: Three homes and four roads damaged.
- Simpson: One business damaged.
- Smith: Six roads and three bridges damaged.
- Sunflower: Homes and roads damaged or inaccessible.
- Tallahatchie: 35 homes and 29 roads damaged.
- Tishomingo: NWS Memphis Confirmed tornado; two homes and 22 roads damaged; two bridges damaged
- Tunica: Three roads damaged
- Union: Assessments ongoing
- Warren: Assessments ongoing
- Washington: Assessments ongoing
- Webster: Two homes and multiple roads damaged.
- Yalobusha: Assessments ongoing
- Yazoo: Assessments ongoing