Electrical utility worker hospitalized, improving after 14,000-volt shock courses through body

Published 9:20 am Thursday, June 27, 2019

An electric company linesman working in Catahoula Parish, Louisiana, on Tuesday was injured by a 14,000-volt shock, authorities said.

Sheriff Toney Edwards said the unidentified victim, employed by Concordia Electric in Jonesville, inadvertently touched a high-voltage electrical line at approximately 11:30 a.m. Tuesday while doing maintenance in a bucket truck near Aimwell, Louisiana.

Edwards said deputies arrived on scene within minutes of the accident.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

“The worker was treated with first-aid prior to EMS arrival, which was just a few moments after us,” Edwards said.

Ambulance spokesman Shane Scott said the ambulance, escorted by Edwards’ deputies, rushed the man to an Alexandria hospital.

The worker was eventually transferred from Alexandria to another hospital for burn care and is currently stable and improving, Scott said.

“This man’s body was slammed with an enormous amount of electricity yesterday,” Scott said, “and this morning, his family is reporting what really just sounds like a miracle.”

Edwards said his deputies and EMS workers deserve credit for their quick response to the incident and their treatment and agreed with Scott.

“God performs miracles every day,” Edwards said. “Everyone was where they were supposed to be yesterday, and God had his hand over all involved. … We are proud of our Concordia Electric Cooperative employees for working in such dangerous conditions to restore our electricity during and after storms.”

Edwards said the electrical line accident remains under investigation and no one else was injured.