Who are Mississippi’s coronavirus patients? A by the numbers look
Published 10:05 pm Sunday, March 22, 2020
On Sunday the Mississippi State Department of Health announced 207 cases of the COVID-19 coronavirus across more than half the counties in the state.
But understanding statistically who those patients are might surprise you.
Based on data from Friday, Mississippi’s patients look like this:
- Not likely under the age of 18 — only 2 percent of Mississippi’s coronavirus patients reported are in that demographic.
- Approximately 1 in 4 or 38 percent are over the age of 60.
- Approximately 1 in 3 or 33 percent are between the ages of 40 to 59.
- 27 percent are between 18 and 39 years old.
- Early reports show only 24 percent of Mississippi’s coronavirus patients required hospitalization.
- 66 percent of the cases are female
- 34 percent are male