Nearly one-third of Mississippi COVID-19 deaths in long-term care facilities

Published 1:49 pm Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Nearly one-third of all deaths from COVID-19 in Mississippi have been in long-term care facilities.

The Mississippi State Department of Health released detailed information on its website Tuesday about the cases and deaths in the state’s long-term care facilities.

MSDH reported that 56 of the state’s 183 deaths (30.6%) were residents in long-term care facilities.

Of the state’s 4,716 cases, 435 cases (9.2%) are in long-term care facilities. Cases have been reported in 81 of the state’s 82 counties. Issaquena County has not reported any cases of COVID-19.

Of the state’s 81 counties, 54 counties have reported at least 1 death.

In 10 counties, deaths in long-term-care facilities account for the majority of deaths in those jurisdictions.

Lauderdale County reported the most virus deaths in the state with 17 deaths in nine of the county’s long-term care facilities.

COUNTY Total deaths Deaths in long-term care facilities % of deaths in LTC facilities
CALHOUN 2 2 100.0%
COPIAH 1 1 100.0%
LOWNDES 1 1 100.0%
MARION 1 1 100.0%
OKTIBBEHA 3 3 100.0%
TUNICA 1 1 100.0%
MONROE 8 7 87.5%
CHICKASAW 4 3 75.0%
HANCOCK 5 3 60.0%
LAUDERDALE 17 10 58.8%
CLARKE 2 1 50.0%
FORREST 4 2 50.0%
LINCOLN 6 3 50.0%
SMITH 2 1 50.0%
LEFLORE 12 5 41.7%
ADAMS 6 2 33.3%
HINDS 6 2 33.3%
HUMPHREYS 3 1 33.3%
PIKE 3 1 33.3%
WASHINGTON 3 1 33.3%
MADISON 4 1 25.0%
HARRISON 5 1 20.0%
BOLIVAR 6 1 16.7%
JACKSON 6 1 16.7%
WILKINSON 6 1 16.7%
CARROLL 1 0 0.0%
CHOCTAW 1 0 0.0%
CLAY 1 0 0.0%
COAHOMA 2 0 0.0%
DESOTO 3 0 0.0%
GEORGE 1 0 0.0%
HOLMES 5 0 0.0%
ITAWAMBA 1 0 0.0%
JASPER 1 0 0.0%
JEFFERSON DAVIS 1 0 0.0%
LAFAYETTE 3 0 0.0%
LAMAR 2 0 0.0%
LEAKE 1 0 0.0%
LEE 4 0 0.0%
MARSHALL 2 0 0.0%
MONTGOMERY 1 0 0.0%
NESHOBA 2 0 0.0%
PANOLA 2 0 0.0%
PEARL RIVER 10 0 0.0%
PERRY 1 0 0.0%
PONTOTOC 2 0 0.0%
RANKIN 4 0 0.0%
SUNFLOWER 2 0 0.0%
TALLAHATCHIE 1 0 0.0%
TIPPAH 7 0 0.0%
UNION 1 0 0.0%
WARREN 2 0 0.0%
WEBSTER 1 0 0.0%
YAZOO 1 0 0.0%
TOTAL 183 56 30.6%

The racial make-up of both the death and cases in long-term care facilities skew toward white residents, unlike the overall numbers from the state, where more than 51% of people with COVID-19 cases are African American.

MSDH reports that 64% of the deaths in Mississippi’s long-term care facilities are white. The remainder 36% are African Americans. Similarly, 64% of cases in long-term facilities are reported to be white with African Americans and other races making up the remainder of the cases.

The department said Monday that coronavirus cases had been confirmed in at least 79 long-term care facilities such as nursing homes.

County Total cases Cases in long-term care facilities %
ADAMS 90 10 11.1%
ALCORN 7 0 0.0%
AMITE 18 1 5.6%
ATTALA 49 3 6.1%
BENTON 9 0 0.0%
BOLIVAR 86 12 14.0%
CALHOUN 42 19 45.2%
CARROLL 14 0 0.0%
CHICKASAW 51 16 31.4%
CHOCTAW 13 0 0.0%
CLAIBORNE 10 0 0.0%
CLARKE 31 6 19.4%
CLAY 27 0 0.0%
COAHOMA 52 1 1.9%
COPIAH 51 1 2.0%
COVINGTON 37 0 0.0%
DESOTO 239 1 0.4%
FORREST 151 10 6.6%
FRANKLIN 17 0 0.0%
GEORGE 10 0 0.0%
GREENE 4 0 0.0%
GRENADA 26 13 50.0%
HANCOCK 53 6 11.3%
HARRISON 151 2 1.3%
HINDS 357 3 0.8%
HOLMES 61 1 1.6%
HUMPHREYS 13 1 7.7%
ITAWAMBA 26 9 34.6%
JACKSON 211 27 12.8%
JASPER 23 0 0.0%
JEFFERSON 5 0 0.0%
JEFFERSON DAVIS 12 0 0.0%
JONES 80 4 5.0%
KEMPER 23 1 4.3%
LAFAYETTE 68 10 14.7%
LAMAR 76 0 0.0%
LAUDERDALE 232 60 25.9%
LAWRENCE 20 0 0.0%
LEAKE 99 0 0.0%
LEE 64 2 3.1%
LEFLORE 109 21 19.3%
LINCOLN 109 41 37.6%
LOWNDES 35 2 5.7%
MADISON 144 7 4.9%
MARION 47 12 25.5%
MARSHALL 39 0 0.0%
MONROE 95 31 32.6%
MONTGOMERY 17 0 0.0%
NESHOBA 82 0 0.0%
NEWTON 32 1 3.1%
NOXUBEE 24 1 4.2%
OKTIBBEHA 44 6 13.6%
PANOLA 37 0 0.0%
PEARL RIVER 134 25 18.7%
PERRY 22 0 0.0%
PIKE 118 8 6.8%
PONTOTOC 18 1 5.6%
PRENTISS 27 12 44.4%
QUITMAN 13 0 0.0%
RANKIN 146 4 2.7%
SCOTT 158 5 3.2%
SHARKEY 3 0 0.0%
SIMPSON 32 2 6.3%
SMITH 50 16 32.0%
STONE 19 0 0.0%
SUNFLOWER 48 0 0.0%
TALLAHATCHIE 8 0 0.0%
TATE 34 1 2.9%
TIPPAH 49 0 0.0%
TISHOMINGO 4 0 0.0%
TUNICA 33 12 36.4%
UNION 12 0 0.0%
WALTHALL 24 0 0.0%
WARREN 25 0 0.0%
WASHINGTON 71 4 5.6%
WAYNE 12 0 0.0%
WEBSTER 16 0 0.0%
WILKINSON 64 4 6.3%
WINSTON 34 0 0.0%
YALOBUSHA 17 0 0.0%
YAZOO 103 0 0.0%
TOTAL 4716 435 9.2%