Mississippi school district opened last week confirms third student with COVID-19
Published 10:07 pm Monday, August 3, 2020
A Mississippi school district that opened six days ago confirmed Monday that it had already identified three students who are now positive for the COVID-19 coronavirus.
National attention was focused last week on the Corinth School District as it was one of the first in Mississippi and among the first in the nation to open with in-person classes.
The Corinth District announced on Friday that one student at Corinth High School was found to be infected with the virus. On Monday afternoon, the district announced two more cases had been found at the school.
The district said in a social media post that anyone who was within close proximity to those children had been informed and would need to be quarantined for 14 days before returning to school.
The district said all three students had not been physically at the school since Tuesday.
On Friday, Mississippi State Health Officer Dr. Thomas Dobbs said the first student who tested positive for COVID-19 had caused 14 other students to be quarantined as a result.
Dobbs later said he believed the state would be wise to delay further openings of schools until the spread of the virus could be slowed.
“We’re all kind of learning as we’re going through this and It’s like a really frightening experiment that we’re going through and in some places, I think it will go well and in some places it won’t,” Dobbs said.
Dobbs said schools should consider delaying start until at least September, giving the state time to slow the virus more.
“It’s impossible to imagine we’re not going to pay the price for cramming kids in schools right now,” he said. “There’s no plausible scenario where it’s just not going to be bad.”