Don’t let the porch pirates ‘Grinch’ your holiday! Mississippi police offer tips to protect packages.
Published 11:15 pm Wednesday, November 29, 2023
A Mississippi police department offered tips to help keep the Grinch away from your special packages Wednesday, National Package Protection Day.
According to the Gulfport Police Department, 23 million Americans have had packages stolen with at least one of those packages coming from their front porch.
Package theft, which is often deemed a crime of opportunity, takes advantage of the fact that porch pirates don’t need sophisticated skills; most packages are left unattended on residents’ doorsteps. As the holiday season approaches, we would like to offer some tips on how to deter package thieves, prevent package theft, and reduce crime in our community.
- Have packages delivered to your workplace where they can be received securely during business hours.
- Have packages sent to the home of a trusted friend or family member who you know will be available to receive them.
- Request to have your packages held at your local post office for convenient and secure pickup at a time that suits you.
- Add an extra layer of security by requesting signature confirmation upon delivery, ensuring that your package reaches only you or someone you authorize.
- Coordinate with your carrier and ask them to discreetly place the package in an area out of plain sight, reducing the likelihood of theft.