Mississippi university now offering next level degrees for technical grads
Published 11:51 pm Saturday, December 16, 2023
Delta State University now offers Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) degrees through the College of Business and Aviation. The BAS degree is designed for individuals with technical degrees from community colleges to transfer technical credit towards a bachelor’s degree. The BAS program allows transfer of 45 hours of technical credits toward the total 121 hours required for degree completion. In addition to technical credits, students can transfer many of their general education courses as well. Required general education courses that were not completed at the student’s community college can be completed at DSU.
Interim Assistant Dean of the College of Business and Aviation Dr. Lisa Cooley said, “With affordable tuition and classes available on-campus and online, Delta State’s BAS degree programs provide students the opportunity to turn technical education credits into a bachelor’s degree, increasing their career opportunities and earning potential.”
The following BAS degrees are available now at DSU:
- Computer Information Systems (CIS) – Prepares students to acquire and demonstrate knowledge of computer systems, databases, programming, networking, and cybersecurity using hands-on skills. Upon completion, students’ skillsets will be valuable to tech-driven business and IT industries by providing operational and strategic IT solutions.
- Hospitality Services Management – For students interested in gaining knowledge and skills equipping them to excel as managers and leaders in the restaurant, food services, hotel, and lodging industries.
- General Business, Human Resources – For students interested in the responsibility of recruiting, training, developing employees, budgeting, benefits, payroll administration duties across an organization helping to ensure a company has the workers and resources needed to accomplish goals.
- General Business, Marketing/Management – For students interested in learning leadership skills that will allow them to make decisions that impact the success of a business. Upon completion, students will be able to identify customers’ needs and then guide organizations to develop, distribute, price, and promote products and services.
- BAS in Aviation Management is available in Air Traffic Control, Airport Operations, Unmanned Aerial Systems, Aviation Security and Logistics.
Admission to the BAS program requires an Associate of Applied Science, an approved technical associate degree, or a minimum of 45 hours of career and technical credits. Students must come from an SACSCOC accredited community college in the state of Mississippi or a comparable regionally accredited community college from another state.
Students may use code BASFREE to waive the application fee for BAS students.
For more information about the DSU College of Business and Aviation, visit https://www.deltastate.edu/college-of-business/.