Explosion blows woman out door of camper trailer

Published 7:21 am Tuesday, January 29, 2019

A 75-year-old woman was blown out the door of her camper trailer in Mississippi after a suspected propane leak caused an explosion Monday.

Warren County Sheriff Martin Pace said just after noon Monday 911 dispatch received a call of an explosion on Harry’s Lane in the Eagle Lake community.

Sheriff’s deputies arrived on scene, as well as the Eagle Lake and Culkin fire departments to suppress the fire.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

The woman, who had injuries to her hands and feet was transported by Vicksburg Fire ambulance to River Region Medical Center where she was treated and released, according to Pace.

“It appears the explosion blew the lone occupant out the door,” Pace said.

The explosion also destroyed a Honda Civic parked next to the camper.

Pace said she told fire department officials and Detective Sam Winchester, who is leading the investigation and is the WCSO designated fire and arson investigator, she smelled propane for a couple of days.

“It’s unclear where the leak may have been,” Pace said. “Anytime, whether it’s natural gas or residential butane, if someone even thinks they smell gas they should notify the utility company and authorities to have it checked out.

Pace said the explosion is under investigation, but there is no reason to believe foul play is involved.